WordPress internal server error, this blog was down because of it.
I can’t tell how many times this blog has been down, not because of my webhost down times..( i have posted, my host, JustHost vs Hostgator review, downtimes).
But simply because of wordpress internal server error message or displayed as wordpress not found page.
The message of wordpress internal server error, will be more and less like this:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, email@example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Screenshot of wordpress internal server error:
WordPress internal server error, so many things can cause it.
Yes, the last time this blog had this WordPress internal server error issue was last week, because i changed some settings in my w3 total cache settings, (to me, this plugin is the best wordpress cache plugin).
And because of this settings changes, the plugin conflicted with another plugins. This is why i also recommend use only plugins that you really need, and must have plugins to avoid something unpleasant to happen.
So many things that can cause wordpress internal server error browser message:
1. You change some plugins settings.
Some plugins do some overwrite your htaccess file, and sometimes the space, or the code is not good placed. It can cause the error.
2. You change the code of your theme files, but the theme folders are not writeable.
I have this experience myself, just simply, i did not take a look at the message, on the bottom of my file editor box in dashboard, that my theme folders were not writable.
This is the screenshot of the message if your theme files are not writeable.
3. You don’t have .htaccess file, but you change something which requires adding code in .htaccess.
So many times i have noticed people change permalinks, and the end, they have wordpress internal server error message. This is because they did not know that they first need to have an .htaccess file.
4. You have lack of memory problem.
You see in the error message above, there is an advice to take a look at the error log. Sometimes you need to fix your wordpress memory problem first.
If you ever had this problem, please comment..
WordPress internal server error how to fix?
Because of many things can cause wordpress internal server error, there is not a simple fix to fix wordpress internal server error, but i usually do these followings:
1. Disable all plugins, if you can’t access admin page, then you need to do this via FTP or cPanel, and rename the plugins folder, something like plugins_1 or something like this.
More infos how to do this from wordpress.org website: guide to deactivate plugins
2. Change your theme back to default theme. Do this by renaming your current theme first.
3. Check whether you have .htaccess file. One of my readers had this problem, but fixed because she simply did not have .htaccess file. Read the complete story in wordpress not found page 404 error article.
4. Increasing the php memory.
Merry Christmas everyone.. and I hope all steps above will fix the issue, if not, i recommend wordpress.org support forum to solve the WordPress internal server error problem.