Twenty Ten Child Theme is the solution if this WordPress 3.0.1 default theme does update, to avoid loosing all css style or other customization.
I have many posts how we can customize twenty ten tutorials and for that, you will need a child theme, today, I have tried myself today on a testblog, that if Twenty Ten theme has updates, and we create child themes, our all changes of modifications will be just gone.
It can be pain if whenever twenty ten updates, you have to repeat all the work again.
The solution to solve this, is I decide to create Twenty Ten child theme, because it is quite simple for non-techie people like myself.
So here are the steps to create Twenty Ten child, it is actually easy.
Video Tutorial how to copy:
1. Login to your web server, in this tut, I use FileZilla.
2. Next step is, finding wp-content folder, and then themes folder.
3. Inside your themes folder, you will see twentyten folder. This is the parent theme folder, that we want to create a child theme from.
4. Still inside “themes” folder, create a folder, we name it, “twentyten-child”
5. Then, inside “twentyten-child” folder, create style.css and functions.php
6. Copy the codes from the child theme codex. Change the code accordingly.
7. Login to your dashboard again, and see Appearance — Themes, you will see your child theme. Before you activate, keep in mind, it is possible that your widgets that you already added will be inactive, if you want to avoid it, read this post.
Now, you can preview your child theme, or activate it.
This way, whenever the parent theme Twenty Ten has updates, we are save because we have our child theme.