How to remove “posted on” the date “by” the author under your wordpress blog’s post title in Twenty Ten theme in wordpress (latest version 3.0.1)
I have been receiving lots of comments and questions about twenty ten theme lately, and today i look at my local blog using Twenty Ten, and spotted the posted on and by text under the post title.
I then think about removing it by hiding or remove the code and probably you want to change it to “the date” only.
So here is the before and after result image:
- To hide this posted on and by text it is very easy, you can open your css file:
1. Dashboard admin.
2. Look for css file, which can be found in appearance/editor/style.css
See more visual tutorial or video how i edit css here(step 5).
3. add this code in the bottom of the file:
4. Hit “Update file” button.
5. Refresh your blog and this text should be gone.
- To remove completely the code from your files, it is in loop.php file:
2. Open in html editor, i use notepad ++.
3. In notepad++ it is in line 129 which said:
<?php twentyten_posted_on(); ?>
</div><!-- .entry-meta -->
4. Remove those codes and paste back into your loop.php file in dashboard.
- To change the text to be something else, in this tutorial i want to displaying only the “posted on following by the date” (see result image)
1. In the step 3 above, instead of deleting those codes, i replace:
<?php twentyten_posted_on(); ?>
Posted on: <?php the_time('F j, Y') ?>
2. Paste back to loop.php, and don’t forget to “update file”.
Hopefully it can be a help, i didn’t have a mood to make a video 🙁
Deepak G says
Thanks for nice share..I just customized my website.. have a look..
@Deepak G, awesome!
OMG! Whenever I search for something related to twenty ten, your blog turns up. Next Lorelle in the making.. 🙂
I wish Gouri! ahaha.
Thank you for your compliment and encouraging words.
(I thought I had done this before, but can’t seem to repeat it….) I don’t want to remove the meta, but rather alter it…. change “Posted on” to “Published on” and remove “by [author]” –isn’t this possible?
Thank you in advance.
Hi there Christopher,
Yes, that’s possible, by following the step 4, or the video tutorial.
Gareth Morris says
Many thanks for the helpful hints. I wonder if you could help me on a couple of points. I have only just started with WordPress and have no coding experience.
1. I have managed to delete the codes and saved them on Microsoft Word as I do not understand how to paste onto loop.php. I can only see loop.php under Templates and Paste is greyed out.
2. Is it possible to delete the code to remove the Posted In and Comments leaving just my text?
thank you very much 🙂 i’m searching this answer from google from 1am-4am 😛 may the force be with you 🙂
Thanks for that. I had downloaded a plugin that just did not work with my template. Solved a really irritating problem for me.
Hi, i just wanna know how to keep the plain text author name, instead of deleting it totally. Thanks in advance.
Zahid Rouf says
Is there any shortcut or plugin for this job other than editing the core files ?
Marcos Ruiz says
Very useful, thanks a lot.
Oh man I have been going crazy trying to work this out. I have locked myself out of my site about twenty times today. So THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. One line of code from you and problem solved. I am seriously grateful and going to bed a happy man. Not sure who you are really but you’re definitely my hero.
Hey, this worked fine – partially. I would actually like to ADD “Published by…. date” under each wordpress twentyten PAGE (not post).
pasted in loop_page.php
<div id="post-” >
displays “Posted on…” on each page – but is it possible to change this to “Published on..”`?
Thanks for these tips. They helped out immensely. My next question is how to style the date. I want to change the font, font color and size. Do I use the div style tag in loop.php or style it in style.css?
Thanks so much!
Thanks for your help with this. I was trying to fix it for a while. My question is how to change the font and font color of the date text? Do you use div style in loop.php or change it in style.css?
Thanks again for your help!
Thanks man.I decide to modify the default theme from wordpress for clients and stop using free themes.I m new in web developing and no knowledge of php yet.Your “tip” was great and work for me.The minimum that i can do to thank you is to clicking somewhere on your website 🙂
Lol .Sorry .I just saw that you are a woman.Sorry that i wrote “thanks man for the tip” in my comment.